Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Woman Deeply Troubled

So I have been praying about what I should read devotionally. I kept feeling led to 1 Samuel. So this morning as I read I felt overwhelmed with peace. Mostly because I know God is there listening and talking to me. He knows that I need to hear the message of 1 Samuel. (God, thank you for speaking to me not only through prayer, but through your word.)

So 1 Samuel starts out with Hannah unable to conceive children. Her husband Elkanah has another wife Peninnah who has given him many children and she says a lot of hurtful things to Hannah. So how does this apply to me… My desire to be a Mom and wife. Part of God’s plan for Hannah was postponing her years of childbearing. It was not because Hannah was sinful or unworthy. It was just God’s plan for her. She was struggling with God’s timing and just needed people to come along side of her to encourage and comfort her. She had that in her husband. Well, I don’t have a husband, but I do have wonderful people who come alongside of me and encourage me. Especially Kathy Clark, and the ladies of my Monday night small group. Wow, I am so blessed to have them!! So in chapter 1 starting in verse 10 it shows Hannah weeping in her prayers to God, (which I have found myself doing at times) so much so that the priest Eli thought she was drunk. She did something that has always been looked down on by believers, but she made a deal with God. She said vs.11 “O Lord Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life…” The Lord gave her what she asked and she kept up her end of the deal. Be careful what you ask for cause you just might get it! In verse 16b she says to Eli…”I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief” Honestly, I felt such comfort in reading that cause I have felt like my prayers have been that way quite often this past year. I am just so thankful that I know the Lord hears my prayers. I can feel free to show my emotions to God. He knows I am feeling them anyway, so why not show them when I talk to him. Why do we try and hide things from God? That is impossible! Anyway, I am thankful also that the Lord has led me to read 1 Samuel again! Hopefully I can share more insights down the road!

God, thank you first for the beautiful sky, and warm weather today. Thank you for loving me through my emotional, rough days when I don’t understand your leading. Thank you that no matter how rough it gets you always hear my cry and prayers. Give me patience to wait for your timing. Help me to live for today and not concentrate on the future. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home