Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Leaving a Legacy

When I am at work I listen to Klove on my computer. The song Legacy by Nichole Nordeman came on and it reminded me of when I was teaching Esther. There was a week we talked about leaving a legacy. Esther left an amazing legacy and if you have never read the book of Esther I encourage you to! So I have been thinking about that a lot the past few days. I looked up Legacy in the dictionary and here is the definition: Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past. Then here is the chorus to the song by Nichole:

I want to leave a legacy How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough? To make a mark on things I want to leave an offering A child of mercy and grace Who blessed Your name unapologetically And leave that kind of legacy

About a year and a half after I graduated from high school, Brian Roseberry was killed in a car accident. I didn’t know him real well because he was older than me in high school, but I graduated with his sister. At his funeral I remembered all of these people getting up and talking about how evident Christ was in his life. Story after story of God using him in others lives. He left an amazing legacy that all of those people will never forget. I really had to evaluate my life at that point. I noticed that the only thing Mindee Hill would be remembered for, if she died at that moment, was… not much. I am not saying I want to be someone that people talk about because of what I look like or how funny I was! I want to leave a legacy of Christ. I don’t want everyone to be looking at Mindee when she is gone. I want when they hear my name to think of Christ! To me that is leaving a legacy! So in the song when she states the questions Did I choose to love? Am I loving others whether they are lovable or not? Did I point to You enough? Is my life pointing to Christ? Am I living a life worthy to lead others to Him? What am I handing down to those who will be here after I am gone? That is challenging!

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 says, "For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." In the book 'My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers he says this about Paul writing that verse.--- 'Paul said that he was gripped by the love of God and that is why he acted as he did. People could perceive him as mad or sane- he did not care. There was only one thing he lived for- to persuade people of the coming judgment of God and to tell them of "the love of Chirst". This total surrender to "the love of Christ" is the only thing that will bear fruit in your life. And it will always leave the mark of God's holiness and His power, never drawing attention to your personal holiness.'--- Wow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home